Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Day 3 - Klamath Falls to Crater Lake

Spent Monday (Day 2) hitch hiking to Klamath Falls. I was going to continue north to Bend but could not get a ride and stayed the night here. Incredibly, there is no bus north from Klamath Falls.

Last night I got the idea to head up to Crater Lake and put the skis back on. Not the original planned route, but still pretty good. I could ski from the south entrance around the west side of the lake, then out the north entrance to 138. At that point if conditions are not working, I can head over to 97 and hitch hike north. If things are looking good, I can resume the route and head north to Diamond Lake, then Route 58, Cascade Lakes Highway, etc.

I think this is a good plan. Main challenge is getting a ride to Crater Lake. If I can get north to where Route 62 breaks off 97, I shoold be in a good spot. Might have to do some walking this morning.