Wednesday, March 5, 2008

2.3 - Tuesday, March 4

Distance: ~55 miles
Time: 6 hours
Conditions: Frozen crust and pavement hard trail

At last, the conditions I have been looking for. Weather has been clear the last few days, and the snow surface is now boiler plate. Today's skiing would be in two parts. First, I had to go back and get the section from Diamond Lake Junction to Chemult (10 miles), and then ski from Chemult to Crescent Lake on Route 58 (about 35 miles).

There is a superb powerline cut that runs parallel to 97 for miles near Chemult and south. If you have ever turned onto 138 from 97 heading for Crater Lake or Diamond Lake, you have seen it. It's right there near 97 and stretches off into seemign infinity in both directions. The corridor is almost completely flat. Perfect for skating.

I set off from Walt Haring Sno Park in Chemult, and when I hit the powerline cut I turned south and followed it all the way to where I had taken off the skis on the previous day at 138. This is probably the fastest I have ever gone for the longest sustained time on skate skis. Absolutely perfect speed conditions, and really got into a great rhythm. Got there and instead of hitching back I turned around and skied back. Figured it would be faster. Double the pleasure.

With the mile in and out from the Sno Park, total distance traveled was probably 22 miles, and it took around 2 1/2 hours. Super section, especially as the rosy fingers of dawn started to massage Thielsen and other Cascade fangs to the west. I highly, highly recommend this powerline. In fact I am tempted to go back and follow it as far south as it goes, which may be Chiloquin (near the Klamath Basin).

Got back to the car and headed into Chemult for some breakfast at the Big Mountain Cafe. Quick change back at the Dawson House and I headed back out for the ski to Crescent Lake. Conditions were perfect and stayed perfect all day because it never got that warm. The first 11 or 12 miles to near the Halfway House are a race course, with miles of gradual downhill where you can either tuck or pole. As the route turns west some hills start. Lots of hills. Was definitely starting to feel the long climbs later in the day, but the kamikaze downhills were a joy. I did not see a single person the entire way.

When I got to Crescent Lake, a wrong turn sent me west clockwise around the lake, adding about 5 miles, which I was not thrilled about. Worse, at this point the freeze disappeared and it was dry cold, new snow, often in shadows. My speed slowed dramatically. I made it to the Sno Park, which is located near an industrial style area near the railroad tracks. Got out to Route 58 and was picked up by Corvallis skier Bob who drove me all the way back to my car in Chemult, even though he was not headed that way. THANK YOU BOB!

I was back at the Dawson House and showered by 4:00 PM.

An epic day that truly showed what is posible when the conditions are right.